What is the butter tart tour?
While we didn’t invent the iconic Canadian treat that is the butter tart, we’ve most certainly perfected the delivery of these sweet treats! The Kawarthas Northumberland Butter Tart Tour combines dozens of stops offering some of the best butter tarts in Ontario into one fun-filled, family-friendly tour.
In 2011, this sweet idea became a reality with just a few stops and big aspirations. Now the immersion in flaky deliciousness that is the Butter Tart Tour has grown to over 50 locations throughout Kawarthas Northumberland. You can taste your way across Northumberland County, Peterborough County, the City of Peterborough, and Kawartha Lakes. Tour partners include our stellar local bakeries, charming cafes, and elegant restaurants as well as welcoming resorts and inns across the region each serving up their take on this Canadian classic treat. Each location has its own own hours of operation. Download our map to get complete contact information for each location. You can find Butter Tart Tour locations in most of the Kawarthas Northumberland’s towns with many great stops located within minutes of each other.
Introducing the Canadiana Collection
Could we make the butter tart any more Canadian than it already is? Our bakers are up for the challenge! To mark Canada’s 150th birthday, a number of master chefs across Kawarthas Northumberland have introduced the “Canadiana Collection”. This scrumptious line of specialty butter tarts features uniquely Canadian ingredients.
For a delightful taste of Canada, indulge in the “Canadiana Collection” on the Kawarthas Northumberland Butter Tart Tour. This signature collection includes irresistible flavours such as the Nanaimo Bar Butter Tart, the Trudeau, the Marie Dressler, the Stompin’ Tom, the Canada 1-5-0, and the Maple Ice Wine.
What is a butter tart?
At its most basic, a butter tart is simply butter, sugar, syrup, and eggs. The magic happens when these simple ingredients are combined and baked in a pastry shell until golden brown and the filling is semi-solid – or really runny depending on your tastes and baking style. This simple combination is what was featured in the first known printed recipe from the early 1900s. Found in the Royal Victoria Cookbook by The Women’s Auxiliary to the Royal Victoria Hospital located in Barrie, ON, this simple tart has become a staple of the Canadian cuisine landscape.
But it gets better… tarts can also include tasty add-ins too! Think raisins, pecans, walnuts, currants or even more adventurous additions such as fruits and crème fillings. The pastry crust can be flaky, or firm, or even made from shortbread, which packs a scrumptious crunch! With a nod to the times, several stops on the Tour now offer gluten-free versions too!
How to experience
Enjoy The Butter Tart Tour all year long at your own pace!
With over 50 stops on the Tour, there’s dozens of different places to visit and as many versions to sample. Got a butter tart craving but are short on time? Plan a day-trip and visit a stop or two! Really wish to sink your sweet tooth into it? We’ve designed the Butter Tart Tour into four tasty bite-size servings that can be easily done over two or three days.
To really enjoy the flavour of Kawarthas Northumberland, consider a stay at one of the many welcoming hotels, resorts, inns, or bed & breakfasts spread across the region.
Kawarthas Northumberland Butter Tart Taste-Off
Once a year the best of the Butter Tart Tour comes together under one roof for the annual “Taste-Off” competition! Our 2017 Taste-Off starts at 9am on September 23 and it will be bigger & better than ever before.
- Our bakers are bringing MORE tarts than ever before!
- We’re using the ENTIRE Morrow Building. That’s right: an entire warehouse-sized building full of butter tarts. That means more space, fewer lines, and better access.
- Food Network Chef David Adjey is returning and will judge the new “Canadiana Collection” category of specialty butter tarts.
- We’re also hosting a “Sous Chef Show Down.” This Iron-Chef-Style event will see Chef David Adjey select the best up-and-coming chef’s creation using ingredients from the local Farmers’ Market. It’ll be fresh, fierce, and downright delicious!
But wait… there’s more in store for the 2017 Taste-Off:
- Coffee stations, seating areas, and a “Kids Zone.”
- Event hosts Catherine Hanrahan and Pete Dalliday from Fresh Radio 100.5FM.
- Additional parking and a free shuttle service from the Canadian Canoe Museum.
- Additional booths and information about great experiences throughout Kawarthas Northumberland. (Yes, we do have more than just butter tarts.)
Meet our Bakers!
Learn the story of some of our bakers along the Butter Tart Tour.
Go behind the scenes. See the traditions and the “State of the Tart” mastery that go into your favourite tarts. Resurrect the road trip and satisfy your butter tart cravings. This week we’re visiting Marilyn at A1 Gluten-Free Gals. She sells her tarts at the Peterborough Farmers’ Market and she’ll be at our Taste-off this coming Saturday, Sept. 23!
Follow us on Facebook to check out new videos each “Butter Tart Tuesday”!
How Your Business can Join
Operate a business that wants to get in on the sweet action? If you meet the following criteria, you may be eligible to become a member of the Butter Tart Tour!
- Located in the Kawarthas Northumberland region
- Butter tarts must be produced in the Kawarthas Northumberland region
- Open on a posted schedule in a recurring location
- Operate a commercially – certified kitchen
- Offer butter tarts for purchase – in singles and multiples – each day of business operation
For full details and contact information, please contact us (RTO8).